Useful Links 1
Useful Links 2
Breast cancer can be beaten. It involves a collaboration of Family Physicians, Oncologists, Geneticists, and Radiologists, Patholigists and specialized nurses, counsellors, skilled technologists and others on the medical side. But it also requires the help of family members, friends, clergy and society as a whole.
A group of local doctors have decided to put their sticks where their stethoscopes are. Hockey simply got more votes than the Full-Monty Doctor Calendar. So, this Wednesday, February 13th, 2008, at 5 p.m. at the Hershey Centre, the Mississauga News and the St. Mike's Majors will be presenting "Docs On Ice".
My own Bandage Clad Blades coached by NHL great, Johnny Bower, have challenged Dr. Dennis Izukawa's Tyrannical Titans, coached by the legendary Dick Duff, to a duel on ice. The ice is sure to turn pink as we duel for the coveted Golden Bedpan with proceeds going to the Breast Cancer Foundation. For a mere $8.00, you can cheer on your favorite doc, raise funds for breast cancer, meet a famous Maple Leaf Stanley Cup Champion, and even stay to watch the St. Mike's Junior Game at no extra cost. And it's all thanks to Mr. Ron Lenyk of the Mississauga News, one of the most valuable, community spirited individuals in our city. Mr. Eugene Melnyk has also pledged to match every dollar raised for this noble cause. Together, we can make a difference. Donations can be made out to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation, and are tax deductible. They can be dropped off at the Mississauga News office. We hope to see you there!
2017 Binette Award Winner. News from Dr. Peter W. Kujtan, Dr. P. Kujtan Medical Professional Corporation, Wednesday, May 16, 2018.
"On behalf of the Docs On Ice Provincial executive, we congratulate Dr. Pete Kujtan who has been a driving force behind the success of Docs On Ice for several decades. A tireless volunteer, leader, player and innovator, Dr. Kujtan has advanced the tournament and helped raise large sums for local charities all around the province. His dedication as a family physician is equally inspiring. He continued to help his patients during the initial phases of his recent cancer treatments. Docs On Ice would not exist today without the energy and enthusiasm of Dr. Peter Kujtan. ~ Congratulations from the Provincial Executive Committee."
Docs on Ice Hall of Fame: "Each year, a player is inducted into the Docs On Ice Hall of Fame. They are selected for demonstrating an outstanding contribution to Docs On Ice, and for displaying the true spirit of Doc Hockey, including sportsmanship, camaraderie, and fair play."
1. Dr. Don Armstrong - Guelph
2. Dr. Rick Binette - Peterborough
3. Dr. Bill Depew - Kingston
4. Dr. Jim Faught - Burlington
5. Dr. Michael Greenspan - Hamilton
6. Dr. Norm Hey - Sudbury
7. Dr. David Johns [1940-2018] - Barrie
8. Dr. Peter Kujtan - Mississauga
31. Dr. Rob Hammond (2017) - London
Dr. Rick Binette Award: This award honours Dr. Richard Binette's outstanding contributions to Docs On Ice.
"The Binette Award is open to all players, rewarding the personality that makes a player a favorite teammate, opponent and citizen. The awardee will be a player who balances their own professional and recreational lives for the good of themselves and those around them including their greater community. They blend a competitive spirit with the higher principles of goodwill and respect for the wellbeing of others."
1. Dr. Paul Cano (2015) - Niagara Falls
2. Dr. Peter W. Kujtan (2017) - Mississauga [added here]
● Docs On Ice. Official website.
● Docs on Ice Past Tournaments. View Docs on Ice Tournament Logos. Docs on Ice has been supporting charities in Ontario since 1983. List includes past and future tournaments: 1983 Peterborough - 1984 Niagara Falls - 1985 Kitchener - 1986 Toronto - 1987 Sault Saint Marie - 1988 Niagara Falls - 1989 Ottawa - 1990 Kitchener - 1991 Burlington - 1992 Peterborough - 1993 Sudbury - 1994 Kingston - 1995 Hamilton - 1996 London - 1997 Toronto - 1998 Toronto - 1999 Toronto - 2000 Haliburton - 2001 Mississauga - 2002 Peterborough - 2003 Sudbury - 2004 Sarnia - 2005 Ottawa - 2006 Windsor - 2007 Hamilton - 2008 Thunder Bay - 2009 Niagara Falls - 2010 Collingwood - 2011 Oakville - 2012 Peterborough - 2013 Stratford - 2014 Newmarket - 2015 London - 2016 Muskoka - 2017 Hamilton - 2018 Toronto - 2019 Lanark - 2020 Sault Ste Marie - 2021 Ottawa.
● The 2019 Docs on Ice Tournament will take place in Lanark County, Ontario, March 28-30, 2019.
● The History of Docs on Ice includes photos of the original 8 Docs on Ice Teams in 1983. "Docs on Ice is an annual fundraising doctors hockey tournament that began in 1983. The tournament affirms the priciples of charity, camaraderie, and sportsmanship inspired by the memory of the late hockey player and Urologist Dr. Peter Howes.
The first tournament was held in Peterborough with 8 teams. Docs on Ice has grown over the last 35 years to include more than 800 physicians and 100 medical students, with 56 teams in 11 divisions from across Ontario and Quebec [in 2018].
Docs on Ice is hosted by a different city each year to bring doctors together to play hockey and to give back to the community by raising money and awareness for local charity ... All proceeds go directly to charity. To date, Docs on Ice has raised over $1 million dollars for charity."
● Docs On Ice Toronto 2018 from Weekend Hockey Tournaments. Men's Tournaments. Includes many photos of Docs on Ice Teams and individual players: Gala, Divisions A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, and M.
Note: Under the leadership of Dr. Pete Kujtan, a Docs on Ice Hall of Fame blazer was created by Ficel Sports & Entertainment Marketing in April 2017 and is available for all Docs on Ice Hall of Famers at docsonice.ca/site.
Docs on Ice Blazer Order Form. You can also enquire at www.ficel.ca - Ficel Sports & Entertainment Marketing, 2193 Dunwin Drive, Mississauga ON L5L 1X2 (905) 607-7414.
Docs On Ice Support Alzheimers. Monday, January 30, 2012 News from Kujtan.ca.
● Johnny Bower. YouTube video, 0:59 min. Etobicoke Sports Hall of Fame.
● AHLHOF: Johnny Bower (2006). YouTube video, 1:05 min.
● Legends of Hockey - Johnny Bower. YouTube video, 9:33 min.
● Johnny Bower Gets His Goalie Pads Back . YouTube video, 2:26 min.
● Pioneers of Hockey - Johnny "The China Wall" Bower [Part 1]. YouTube video, 12:01 min.
● Pioneers of Hockey - Johnny "The China Wall" Bower [Part 2]. YouTube video, 10:08 min.
● Leafs TV Johnny Bower Tribute. YouTube video, 2:14 min.
● Johnny Bower Teaches His Famous Poke Check. YouTube video, 5:03 min.
● Leafs legend Johnny Bower visits Montreal. March 26, 2011. YouTube video, 5:02 min.
● Johnny Bower Thanks the CHUM WITCH for Win. YouTube video, 1:05 min.
● Johnny Bower sings Honkey the Christmas Goose . YouTube video, 2:33 min.
● Leafs' legend Johnny Bower dies at 93 by Curtis Rush, and Kevin McGran, Sports Reporters, Toronto Star, Dec. 26, 2017. Maple Leafs legendary goalie Johnny Bower has died at 93. The Maple Leaf net legend, nicknamed "The China Wall," almost passed up playing for the Leafs.
● Johnny Bower from Wikipedia. John William "Johnny" Bower (born John Kiszkan on November 8, 1924. Died December 26, 2017), nicknamed "The China Wall", is a Hockey Hall of Fame goalie.
● Legends of Hockey - Johnny Bower. Bower ... became famous for his fearless play. Maskless, he never shied away from an attacking player and in fact patented the most dangerous move a goalie can make - the poke-check. ... After he retired in 1970 as the oldest goalie ever to play in the NHL, Bower remained with the Leafs for many years as a scout and then goalie coach, putting the pads on and helping Leaf goalies in practice.
● Docs On Ice scores big from Halton Region, April 8, 2011.
● Docs On Ice (2010) coming to Clearview by Michael Gennings, Staff, Stayner Sun, Jun 30, 2009. "The Stayner Arena will be used during the 28th annual Docs On Ice Charity Hockey Tournament in April 2010, an event that will raise money for new medical equipment at Collingwood General and Marine Hospital."
● Docs take to ice for local charity. Video, 0.57 min. Dr. David Dec, a Niagara Falls family physician, talks about the 27th annual Docs On Ice Hockey Tournament to be held in April 2009.
● After checked on ice, docs check out city - Docs On Ice April 20, 2009 from Niagara Falls Review.
● Docs lace up to help local charity. (Scroll down to read this article). April 13th, 2009 from Niagara Falls Review.
● Docs on Ice 2009 - News March 31, 2009 from Niagara Falls Review. "Docs On Ice Niagara is committed to bringing greater attention to safety in sport ..."
● Docs On Ice 2009 - Congratulations Champions. Doctors: Thibodeau, Binette, Clark, Depew, Hey, Owsianik, Kujtan, McClure, Reich and Connolly. "A special thank you to Marcel Dionne, Honorary Chair of Docs On Ice for his enthusiasm and dedication to hockey and Docs On Ice Niagara." Docs On Ice 2010 will be held in Collingwood, ON - April 8, 9, 10, 2010.
● Docs On Ice 2009. The 27th Annual Doctors of Ontario Charity Hockey Tournament will be held in Niagara Falls, April 16 to 18, 2009. This charity competition will host over 50 teams of doctor hockey players organized into nine divisions. Proceeds will benefit Heart Niagara and reduction of childhood obesity through its Healthy Heart Schools' Program. In 2009, a medical student division will be added to "give medical students the opportunity to experience physician hockey, network and support an important cause."
● Niagara is honoured to host the Docs On Ice 2009 events. "The tournament, now in its 27th year of competition, will host 50 plus teams organized into nine divisions. Tournament registration is $2,750 per team and includes: Thursday evening registration events, Round Robin hockey Friday and Saturday, a Gala Dinner Friday evening, as well as entertainment and commemorative gifts." Posted October 2008, Niagara Falls Review.
● Docs On Ice Charity Hockey Tournament (2008). "Thunder Bay is hosting 'Docs On Ice', the 26th Annual Doctors of Ontario Charity Hockey Tournament April 3-5, 2008. Come out to support the local docs of the Thunder Bay Blades as they face off against the Niagara team at 1:30 pm, Saturday, April 5th at the Fort William Gardens. Admission $2. Proceeds to support P.R.O. Kids and the Paediatric Unit at Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre. Dave 'The Hammer' Shultz will also be at the Gardens to sign autographs."
● Doctors take their game to the rink by Craig MacBride, Mississauga News, Feb. 8, 2008. Includes staff photo by Rob Beintema: "Credit Valley Hospital Doctors. They're putting down their stethoscopes and picking up hockey sticks. This team of doctors, playing for Credit Valley Hospital, will face off against a Trillium Health Centre team next week at the Hershey Centre to raise money for the fight against breast cancer."
● And the Golden Bedpan goes to ... from Mississauga News, 14 Feb. 2008. "Physicians from Mississauga's two hospitals strapped on the blades for some friendly competition and to raise funds for a good cause." Includes staff photo by Sabrina Byrnes: Dick Duff. Former National Hockey League great Dick Duff was the winning coach in last night's Hospital Physicians' Challenge hockey match at the Hershey Centre. The event coincided with Paint The Rink Pink night."
● Docs On Ice Charity Hockey Tournament Players. "These local physicians on the Thunder Bay Blades will be playing in the Charity Hockey game on Saturday, April 5th, 2008: Drs. Robin Kennie; Frank Potestio; Trevor Bon; Pete Cunniffe; Bill MacGregor; Dave Wood; Kevin Wilberforce; Kevin Covery; Troy Tebbenham; Devin Nielsen; George Derbyshire; Kevin Miller; Claude Cullinan; Dave Welbourne; Paul Dupuis and Mike Scott."
● Docs On Ice Charity Hockey Tournament Players. "The Thunder Bay Wolves - yet another team of local physicians will also be playing in the Docs On Ice Tournament (2008): Drs. Stewart Kennedy; Andrew Affleck; Paul Watson; George Doig; Chris Francis; Brent Bukovy; Alan Kirk; Blair Marchuk; Joe Behse; Walter Kutcher; Joe Waselewski; John Morgan; Yvon Gagnon; Brad Jacobson; Greg Carfagnini and Terry McDonald."
● Docs On Ice Hockey 2008 by Scott A. Sumner, Thunder Bay Business. "Over 500 doctors in 40 teams from across Ontario will visit Thunder Bay for Docs On Ice 2008, which will be held on April 3rd - 5th, 2008 at 6 arenas across the city ... proceeds from the tournament will support two local charities - P.R.O. Kids Thunder Bay and the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre- Pediatrics Unit."
● Docs On Ice 2006: He Shoots and Shoots and Sometimes Scores! Article by Dr. Peter W. Kujtan.
● Docs On Ice 2005: Hockey Lockout Lifted. Article by Dr. Peter W. Kujtan.
● Pink ribbon from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The pink ribbon is an international symbol of breast cancer awareness.
● Ribbons for a reason. Ribbons for a Reason specializes in awareness ribbons for every reason in over 56 colors. These colors support over a 100 different causes.
● List of awareness ribbons from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Many groups have adopted ribbons as symbols of support or awareness. List shows meanings of different color ribbons.
● Awareness Ribbon Colors. Cancer Ribbons. Awareness Ribbon Colors and Meanings. Complete list of awareness ribbon colors and their related illnesses and causes. Cancer ribbon colors, illness awareness ribbons, cause ribbon colors.
● Awareness Ribbons Chart - Colors and Meanings of Awareness Ribbon Causes from Disabled World.
● Ribbon Color Chart Printable PDF.
● What Does That Awareness Ribbon Mean? Symbolism for 7+ Popular Colors by Alyssa Mertes.
● It is with great regret to inform you that Ron Lenyk passed away on September 14, 2015. See Ron "Zenko" Lenyk, Obituary.